He emigrated from England the latter part of the Seventeenth Century. He is supposed to have come from Suffolk in that Country. The name is of French origin and was originally spelled "Berthier". He settled near Norfolk, Virginia. He had two sons, John and Tristram. John Bethea, 2nd. came over it is supposed at the same time with his father and settled in Nansemund County, Virginia, at or near Suffolk, not far from Norfolk ,Virginia. Tristram Bethea, the other son, at the same time settled on the Cape Fear River in North Carolina, not far from Fayetteville. There is no record of any females. The data handed down in the family kept no record of this sex. In writing this genealogy our object will be as early as we can, to at least record whom the females married.


John Bethea, 2nd., had two sons, John Bethea, 3rd., and William.


John Bethea, 3rd., came to South Carolina from Nansemund County, Virginia, long before the Revolutionary War and settled on Buck Swamp, near the present town of Latta in Dillon County. When he came that part of the country was embraced in Georgetown District. Afterwards, Liberty District, or Precinct, was formed. There about A.D. 1800, Marion District was created. After the Civil War the divisions of the State were changed from Districts to Counties. In recent years old Marion District, or County, was cut up, the west side of Great Pee Dee River going to make Florence County; and later still the upper part was made into Dillon County. John Bethea 3rd., was a soldier and a patriot during the Revolution and assisted in establishing the Independence of the United States of America. Bishop Gregg's History of "The Old Cheraws" records at least one of his exploits as a Soldier with the Tories of that day. His wife was Absala Parker. There is no record, or tradition, saying where he married her. She may have come from Virginia, or he may have found her some where here.


William Bethea, the other son, came down from Virginia, with his brother, John Bethea, 3rd., and settled on Sweat Swamp, above Little Rock, South Carolina.

John Bethea, 3rd. had sons and daughters. His sons were William, James, Philip, Elisha, and Parker. His daughters were Sarah ,or Sallie, Absala, Mollie, Pattie.

Sallie married Levi Odom. They had no children. Absala married a Mr. Owens and went west. Mollie also married a Mr. Owens and moved west. Pattie married a Mr. Owens and moved to Charleston County, (now Berkely County) and settled near the present village of St. Stephens, near Santee River on the Atlantic Coast Line Railway. She is buried in the old church-yard there. She had a daughter named Sallie who married Lewis Strobel of Charleston, South Carolina. They had a daughter named Gabriella A. who married Oscar E. Johnson of Charleston, South Carolina. A daughter was born to them named Florence Amanda who married Philip Yancey Bethea in City of Charleston, South Carolina, Nov. 25th, 1875.


William Bethea, son of John Bethea, 3rd., married first a Miss Crawford and had one son, John Crawford Bethea. He married second time, Miss Mary Shackleford, and had the following sons and daughters: Levi, William S., Frank, James, Evander S. His daughters were Rebecca, Absala, Mary, Catherine, and Sarah Ann. He settled on the east side of Buck Swamp. His daughter Rebecca married Colin McLellan. Absala married Hugh Campbell. Mary married William W. Bethea of "Sweat Swamp Set". Catherine married Averitt N. Nance and Sarah married a Mr. Folk from North Carolina.


John Crawford Bethea, son of William Bethea, (born 1798 - died 1863) married the first time a widow Irby of Marlborough County, whose maiden name was Allison. She had one child a daughter, Elizabeth, when he married her. This girl married Henry Rogers of Marlborough County. He had one son by Irby marriage, Edwin Allison Bethea. His second wife was Sarah Ann Davis of lower Marion, in the neighborhood of Port's Ferry on Great Pee Dee River. He had one son by this marriage, John Crawford Bethea Jr. John Crawford Bethea Sr. was very prominent in his day. He represented his county at least one term in the Legislature. He took great interest in public affairs. He accumulated quite a property in lands and Negroes and died very wealthy. He settled at Cross Roads, just north of Latta, South Carolina.


Edwin Allison Bethea, son of John Crawford Bethea, Sr, was born 1844 and died 1913. He married Miss Anna Eliza Godbold, daughter of Asa Godbold, Sr who lived about two miles north of the town of Marion. He has sons and daughters. He was a Confederate soldier. His sons are Asa, John C., Edwin and Reed Walker. His daughters are Lizzie, Sallie, Cora, and Louise. Lizzie is unmarried (1916). Sallie married William C. McMillan and now lives in Columbia, South Carolina. Cora married Julian Dew of Latta, South Carolina. Louise married L. H. Smith of Latta, South Carolina. Mr. Smith is a grandson of Rev. John L. Smith of lower Buck Swamp. She is now dead, leaving a daughter who had been adopted by Mrs. Jasper Bethea.


Asa Bethea, son Edwin Allison Bethea, is married but has no children. He lives in Latta, South Carolina. Edwin, the next son married a daughter of John E. Henry.


John C. Bethea, another son of Edwin Allison Bethea, married a Miss McNeil and resides in Dillon, South Carolina. He was Auditor of Marion County at least one term. He is now Clerk of Court of Dillon County.


Reed Walker Bethea, son of Edwin Allison Bethea is unmarried and is a Druggist in the town of Florence, South Carolina.


John Crawford Bethea, Jr., son of John Crawford Bethea, Sr., married Miss Hettie Bethea, daughter of William W. Bethea, by his second wife. She belongs to the Sweat Swamp Set. He inherited his Father's homestead and lived on it for several years. He then moved to the town of Dillon, where he died. He was a noble character. so different from his brother Edwin A. John C's Mother was no ordinary woman, and he inherited some of her noble qualities. He had sons and daughters. His sons are Horace and John C. 3rd. His daughters are Argent Gerald, Octavia, Mary, Sarah, and Hettie. Argent Gerald married J. P. Gibson and lives in Dillon. Octavia married W. H. Muller and lives in Dillon. The other children are small (1916) except Horace, who is now a young man unmarried.


Levi Bethea, son of William Bethea, married Mary Ann Bethea, daughter of John Bethea of the "Sweat Swamp Set". His sons were Henry Louis and George J. Henry Louis died just as he reached manhood. His daughters were Hannah Jane, Sophia, Louisa, and Charlotte. Hannah Jane married John C. Bass, who was a son of old Joseph Bass. Sophia married William H. Smith. Louisa married James Galloway of Marlborough and Charlotte married John E. Henry, now of Latta (1916). He settled on the East side of Buck Swamp, opposite to the town of Latta, South Carolina, and his homestead fell to his son George J.


1847. George J. Bethea, son of Levi Bethea, married a Miss Campbell, daughter of Edward Campbell, on East side of Little Pee Dee River near Kentyre Church. He was a Confederate Soldier in the war between the States. He died several years ago. His sons were Edwin C, Henry, Gary, Robert, and Chalmere. He had a daughter who married a Mr. Alford and they live in Florida. There may be other daughters but I don't know. He lived and died on the homestead of his Father.


Edwin C. Bethea, son of George J. Bethea married a Miss Smith, daughter of Marcus L Smith and a granddaughter of Rev. John L. Smith. He lives at Latta, South Carolina and is Post Master at that place. He has several children but I don't know their names.


Henry Bethea, son of George J Bethea, married a Miss Wiley. He died leaving a widow and I think several children. The widow has lately married a Mr. Allen of Latta, South Carolina.

The other sons of George J. Bethea may be married, but I don't know.


William S. Bethea, son of William Bethea and Mary Shackleford wife, married Sarah Ann DeBerry of Marlborough. He settled on the East side of Buck Swamp, just below Dothan Church. Lot B. Rogers bought the place and it is now owned by one of his sons. He had one son and a daughter. William Henry Bethea was his son. His daughter Missouri married John H. Hamer of Little Rock, South Carolina. William S. Bethea died leaving a widow, who married Charles Fladger. He was killed by the Deserters during the War between the States.


William Henry Bethea, son of William S. Bethea, married first a Miss Elvira Wilson of Wilmington, North Carolina. His second wife was Miss Elvira Sherwood. The children of the first marriage were Wilson H, Henry W. and daughters Addie and Ella. One son Van S., was the only child of the second marriage. William H. Bethea was a Confederate Soldier. He located at Marion, South Carolina, where he lived and died. Addie, his daughter, is unmarried (1916). Ella, his other daughter, married Samuel Reaves. He is a professor at the University of Oklahoma.


Henry W. Bethea, son of William Henry Bethea, died in his youth.


Wilson W. Bethea, son of William Henry Bethea, married a daughter of Wesley L. Gregg of Marion, South Carolina. They have two children. Wilson W. Bethea is a traveling man and now lives some where out west.


Van S. Bethea, son of William Henry Bethea, by his second marriage, married a Miss Jennerett of Georgetown South Carolina. They have some children, but I don't know their names. He now lives in the State of Oklahoma.


Frank Bethea, son of William Bethea, married a daughter of Woodward Manning. He settled on the East side of Buck Swamp, opposite to Latta South Carolina. He died childless. His widow then married a Mr. McCormac. Mr. McCormac died and she married the third time, James McIntyre. They have a son named Manning McIntyre, a splendid looking man. He occupies the Frank Bethea homestead.


James Bethea, son of William Bethea married Miss Irene Page. He settled on East side of Buck Swamp, adjoining the homestead of his Father. His sons were William A and John D. His daughters were Amanda, Ellen, Mary, Kittie, and Belle. Amanda married William. B. Ellen and lived at Dothan. Kittie married Joseph Watson. They live at Mt. Airy North Carolina. Ellen married a Mr. Floyd of North Carolina. I don't t know who Mary and Belle married.


William A. Bethea, son of James Bethea, married a Miss Floyd of North Carolina. He first moved to North Carolina; then after a few years he went to Alabama, where he now lives. He has a son, Jasper. I don't know if they have any more children.


John D. Bethea, second son of James Bethea, married Miss Sallie Manning, daughter of Woodward Manning. She was a sister of Frank Bethea's wife, Rebecca, who afterwards married James McIntyre. John D. Bethea has several children, but I only know Herbert Bethea.


James Bethea, second son of John Bethea, 3rd., married Miss Margaret Cochrane of Marlborough. He settled in the fork of Big and Little Reedy Creeks. The place is now owned by Joseph J. Bethea, his grandson. He had quite a number of sons and daughters. His sons were Thomas C., Samuel J., John R., David and Claudius A. His daughters were Nancy, Deborah, Sallie, Rachel, Lucinda, Lucretia, and Jane. Nancy married Satathiel Moody, a brother of Barfield Moody and moved West. Deborah married James Spears of Marlborough. Sallie married Willis Crawford. Rachel married Enoch Neckins. Lucinda married Col. Wiley Bridges of Marlborough and went West. Lucretia first married Aaron Neckins, brother of Enoch, had no children, She married a second time, Wesley Stackhouse. Several children were the fruits of last marriage. Jane married Tristram Easterling and lives out West.


Thomas C. Bethea, son of James Bethea, married Miss Miranza Rogers, daughter of Timothy Rogers, and moved to the State of Mississippi. I don't know about their children.


Samuel J. Bethea, son of James Bethea, married the first time Mary Rogers, daughter of Timothy Rogers. He and his brother Thomas C. Bethea married sisters. He married the second time, Miss Elizabeth Bass, daughter of old Joseph Bass. He settled on the West side of Big Reedy Creek, opposite Dothan Church. He was a local Methodist preacher and was noted for his integrity and piety. He was a Trial Justice for many years, and dispensed justice with an impartial hand. He always advised litigants to settle their disputes out of Court. He was very hospitable and really entertained to his own detriment. He took great interest in public affairs and filled at times some civil Offices satisfactorily. He did not seek office, but office was thrust upon him. He was quite a reader of current periodicals and was well posted on current events. He was for a long period the corner-stone of Dothan Church. If the Preacher in charge failed to come, he would preach. His Chief Lieutenant in Church work, and is remembered by a great many now living, was David Ellen. Old man Ellen was unquestionably a very good man, but illiterate and ignorant. He would often be called on to pray during church services, especially at revival meetings. In these prayers he would use high- sounding words, coining the most of them to suit his fancy, and using some not at all appropriate to the sentiment. On these occasions he would become very personal, using the names of such persons in the neighborhood as specially needed prayer. It is related on the old man that during a revival at Dothan Church he was called on to pray and this is the prayer said to be delivered by him: "O' Lord, have mercy on the people between the creeks and round and about Dothan Church. O' Lord have mercy on John C Bethea, "Big Bill", the Widow Hannah, the man who lies drunk under the hickory tree and Lawyer Sellers. O' Lord, I'll bet you five dollars, that nobody round here has got any religion at all, except Squire Sam Bethea, and that is most informally doubtful." You will notice that this prayer is very personal, and the reason is this: John C. Bethea and William S. ("Big Bill") Bethea very seldom went to church, the widow Hannah Bethea was a Presbyterian and Mr. Sellers practiced an evil Profession. The man down under the hickory tree was another member of the Bethea family.

Samuel J. Bethea lived to be about seventy, or seventy-five years old. He died regretted by the whole community. He had quite a family of sons and daughters. His sons were James, who died in his youth, Andrew J., David N, and Samuel J. Jr. His daughters were Sarah, Margaret, Harriett, Flora J., Louisa, Lucinda, Charlotte, and Cattie. Sarah married James Moore of Marlborough. Margaret married John W. Tart. Harriett died an old woman, unmarried. Flora J. married Stephen D. Lane. Louisa married Newton Owens of North Carolina. They afterwards moved to Texas. Lucinda died unmarried. So did Charlotte and Cattie.


James Bethea, first son of Samuel J. Bethea died in his youth.


1842. Andrew J. Bethea, the second son of Samuel J. Bethea, married Miss Anna Maria Allen, daughter of Rev. Jack Allen. He was a practicing Physician and also had a farm. He settled in what was called the Free State near Centerville School house on Little Reedy Creek. He was a Confederate Soldier in the War between the States. He served in the Medical Department. He died in his prime. He took a large interest in public affairs. He had several sons and daughters. His sons are Herbert A., Percy, and Andrew J. Jr. His daughters are Nettie and Georgia. His widow is still living (1916). Nettie married Rev. Pearce Kilgo of South Carolina Conference. Georgia married her First Cousin, William Thaddeus Bethea.


Herbert A. Bethea, son of Andrew J. Bethea, married a Miss Manning, a daughter of Houston Manning of the Little Rock community. He lives at Latta and has been connected with the Bank at that place for several years. He is a first rate business man and quite popular.


Percy, the second son of Andrew J. Bethea, is married and lives in the town of Darlington, South Carolina. He is a Dentist by profession.


Andrew J. Bethea, Jr., the youngest son of Andrew J. Bethea, Sr., is a lawyer by profession. He lives in Columbia, South Carolina. He is well educated, a graduate, I think, of Wake Forest College. He taught school several years while studying law. He was private Secretary of Gov. Ansel and made Code Commissioner by the General Assembly. He ran for Lieutenant Governor in 1914 and was elected by a handsome majority. He is quite a prominent young man in the history of the State. He is now unmarried. (1916).


David N. Bethea, son of Samuel J. Bethea married Miss Anna Jane Sellers, daughter of William W. Sellers. She was his cousin. He lived and died on Big Reedy Creek. He married the second time Miss Kate Jones of Nichols, South Carolina, daughter of Thomas Jones. He was appointed Trial Justice on the death of his Father. He held this office for several years. He volunteered early in the Civil War and served throughout the duration of the war in Capt. Thomas E. Gregg's Battery of Artillery. He was complimented more than once for his bravery. He came out of the struggle without a scratch. He took a big interest in public affairs. He ran for office more than once, but failed to be elected. He has several sons and daughters. His sons are William Thaddeus, Samuel Stoll, David Ashby, Swinton Legare, and Andrew Pearch. His daughters were Cattie May, Lillian, and Anna Leval. Cattie May died young. Lillian is now a woman, unmarried. Anna Leval died just as she reached womanhood.


William Thaddeus Bethea, son of David N Bethea, married his first cousin Georgia Bethea daughter of Andrew J. Bethea. He located in the town of Dillon, South Carolina, first as a Railroad agent and Telegraph Operator, when Dillon was a mere Station. He managed the first Bank established there and died its President. He was a very useful citizen, and died much regretted. He had several sons and daughters, but I do not know their names.


Samuel J. Bethea, Jr., son of Samuel J. Bethea, Sr., by his second wife, Elizabeth Bass, married Nannie Bethea, daughter of Evander R. Bethea of the "Sweat Swamp Set". He belongs to the South Carolina Conference and consequently moves about a great deal. The moving is due to the itinerant policy of the Church. His present work (1916) is the Little Rock, South Carolina station with Dothan Church thrown in. He has at least one child.


John R Bethea, son of James Bethea, married Miss Harriett Bass, daughter of Joseph Bass. (Feb. 1842). He settled on the West side of Little Reedy Creek, between Catfish Church and Cross Roads at John C. Bethea's. He was a good citizen and took a big interest in public affairs. He never aspired to office. He was very popular and extremely hospitable. He was a zealous Methodist but not always consistent. He was constantly being hauled up in the church for excessive conviviality. He would make solemn promises and the Church would pass him. His extreme hospitality and neighborly generosity kept him from accumulating. He was a great reader especially theological books. He greatly enjoyed theological discussions particularly if the contestants were Methodists and Baptists. He had a contempt for the Baptist. Strange to say, several of his children joined the Baptist Church, withdrawing from the Methodist Church. He was well posted on current events. As a lad, I remember a great many funny incidents connected with his life. He served in the Home Guards during the War between the States. The Home Guard was organized mainly as a protection against the deserters, who robbed and pillaged in the upper part of the county now Dillon. He had five sons and two daughters. His sons were Joseph J., Lewis S, Thomas C, Harris C., and Walter E. His daughters were Almira and Addie. Almira married Joseph Allen of Marlborough. Addie married Edward Watson. They both have children.


Joseph J. Bethea, son of John R. Bethea, married the first time, Miss Carrie Bethea, daughter of Evander R. Bethea of the "Sweat Swamp Set". They had no children. He married the second time a Miss Gasque, daughter of Rev. J. Mastin Gasque, a Methodist Minister. He located at Latta, South Carolina, and has merchandised for a good many years. He has accumulated some property and is now independent. He is a good citizen. He is a zealous Methodist and one of the pillars of the Church at Latta, South Carolina. He takes very little interest in public affairs and has never aspired to office. His education is limited, although he went to school long enough to be well educated. He was not built for books.


Lewis S. Bethea, son of John R. Bethea, married the first time a Miss McPheison of Florence County. His second wife was Miss Roberta Floyd daughter of Mrs. Zilphia Floyd near Campbell's Bridge. There are children by both wives.


Harris C. Bethea, son of John R. Bethea, married a Miss Lenoir of Sumter County. He for a while was a minister and belonged to the South Carolina Conference. Then he withdrew from the Methodist Church and joined the Baptists. He is now preaching for that denomination. He has several children.


Walter E. Bethea, son of John R. Bethea, married a Miss Rouse and now (1916) lives at Latta, South Carolina. He has no children.


Thomas C. Bethea, son of John R. Bethea died in his youth.


1781. Philip Bethea, son of John Bethea, 3rd, married Rachel Cochrane of Marlborough. She was a sister of his brother James's wife. Her father lived near the site of old Marlborough Courthouse. Philip Bethea first settled on the Mars Bluff and Little Rock road near the Catfish crossing. The place is now a Cemetery. Later on he moved farther up the road and settled where his grandson, James D. Bethea lived. He was exceptionally a good man and was loved by all who knew him. He served a short time in the War of 1812 with Great Britain. He died in 1865 aged eighty-five years. His sons were Elisha Cochrane, and James R. His daughters were Clarrisa, Margaret, and Martha Ann. Clarrisa never married. Margaret married Willis Finklea and moved west. After her husband died she returned to South Carolina and lived with her father for a while. Then she secured a place near where P.W. Bethea lived and died after she had resided there for many years. Martha Ann married William W. Sellers Esq. They settled on West side of Big Reedy Creek, near the home of old man James Bethea on the Little Rock and Mars Bluff Road. Mr. Sellers was a lawyer by profession and had a fine practice. During the War between the States he was the agent of the Confederate Government to collect the Tax in Kind. The last years of his life he devoted to gathering materials for a History of Marion County. He completed the history about 1901. It is quite a large volume and contains valuable information about the first settlements, the formation of the county, and genealogies of most of the families in old Marion County, east of the Great Pee Dee River. The book has a large circulation in every part of the County and is regarded as good authority for the events recorded. Mr. Sellers gave two of his sons collegiate educations, and they became lawyers. John C. the oldest now lives at Sellers, a Station on Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. He is one of the most prominent men in the county. He has served several terms in the Legislature and has a son, who is now (1916) serving his second term. John C. Sellers is a well educated man and an great reader; consequently he is entertaining in conversation, and his company is enjoyable. He takes great interest in public affairs and is always on the right side of politics. Philip B. Sellers, the other son, is a lawyer at Dillon, South Carolina. William N. Sellers, another son, died a few years ago. He was Trial Justice at Latta, South Carolina, and a popular man.


Elisha Cochrane Bethea, son of Philip Bethea, married Martha Ann Walter. She was a Granddaughter of John Bethea, called "Devil John", of the "Sweat Swamp Set". He settled on the East side of Catfish Creek near the Mars Bluff Road. The homestead is not now owned by any of the family. By good management and the excellent assistance of his wife, he accumulated a large property in lands and Negroes. He was a captain in the Militia. In politics he was a nullifier and an ardent Secessionist. He furnished seven sons in the War between the States, in the Confederate cause. He was a great reader and few men were better posted on past and current events. He had a great store of family reminiscences, which he delighted in relating. He was a great student of geography, and always kept an up-to-date Atlas. The writer remembers an incident which took place during his school days. The Schoolmaster of the community, one day, made a geographical assertion in the presence of the old Captain, which was incorrect. I suppose, the teacher felt safe in the crowd he was and was careless in his remarks. The old Captain took him up and quite a discussion ensued. The old gentleman sent for an Atlas, which proved his correctness. The teacher afterward had great respect for the Captain's geographical knowledge and was very cautious not to get into another hole. The Captain gave most of his children all the advantages of an education. He sent several of them to college. He had fifteen children. His sons were Philip W., John J., Robert C., James A., Elisha, Pickett, Morgan, George, William W., Clarence and Julius N. His daughters were Elizabeth Ann, Wilimina R., Augusta B., and Alice. Elizabeth Ann married John B. Bethea of the "Sweat Swamp Set". They moved West at the time and settled in Mississippi. He died just at the close of the War between the States and she returned to South Carolina to her father. Later on when her boys became of age they all went to Alabama. She died in Alabama. Wilimenia R. is now (1916) an old woman, unmarried. Augusta B. married Archibald Gilchrist of Mullins, South Carolina. She died a few years ago. Alice married D. Asbury Smith, son of old John L. Smith of lower Buck Swamp. After the death of her husband she moved to Alabama, where she now resides.


1828. Philip W. Bethea, son of Elisha C. Bethea, married Miss Anna Smith, daughter of Rev. John L. Smith of lower Buck Swamp. He settled on the Marion and Bennettsville Road about one and a half miles north of Catfish Church at a place known as the "Adams Place". The place is now owned and occupied by daughter, Mrs. Williams. He served in the Confederate Army, most of his Service was in Virginia. He was captured and as a prisoner was confined at Point Lookout for several months. He took a large interest in public affairs, kept up with the current events, and looked after the States' interest. He was always on the right side in politics. He never aspired to any office. He was an ardent Methodist and took great interest in the affairs of the Church, although he did not exactly live in strict accordance with the rules. He was strictly sober, energetic, and very industrious. He died in 1915 at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. He is the oldest man that has ever been known in the Bethea family according to records and traditions. His wife died three weeks prior to his death.

His sons were George C., Asbury L., and Pickett P. His daughters were Elizabeth, Nannie and Lillian. Elizabeth married David E. Allen, son of Rev. Joel Allen. Nannie married a Mr. Williams of North Carolina and Lillian married Mr. Williams' brother.


George C. Bethea, son of Philip W. Bethea, married Miss Julia Wayne. They had no children.


Asbury L. Bethea, son of Philip W. Bethea, died while young, unmarried.


Pickett P. Bethea, son of Philip W. Bethea, married a daughter of Capt. Robert H. Rogers of Hillsboro. They live in Branchville, South Carolina and have several children. He was a graduate of Wofford College and taught school several years in Darlington county. He is now (1916) engaged in the mercantile business.


1830. John J. Bethea, the second son of Elisha C. Bethea, married the first time Miss Mary Bethea, a daughter of Tristram Bethea of Floral College community in North Carolina. She therefore belongs to the "Cape Fear Set". His second wife was the daughter of Rev. John L. Smith of lower Buck Swamp. She was a sister of his brother Philip's wife. Her name was Jane. He was a Physician by profession and had a big practice. He also ran a farm at his home, which was near Little Rock, South Carolina. As a Doctor of Medicine he was exempt from military service, but he got into it in this way: during the War between the States, a great many men living on or near Maple Swamp in what is now Dillon County, refused to enlist for military service. These, together with a number of deserters from the regular army, banded together and lived in the Swamps and other out-of-the-way places in lower Marlborough. At night, and some time during the day, they would make raids on the homes of the well-to-do citizens and would carry off provisions of various kinds, stock and raise the devil in general. They became a terror to everyone, especially to the women and children. Their acts became so outrageous that the old men and boys mustered into companies to run them down. Several skirmishes took place and several good citizens were killed or wounded. One fight was in Donaho Bay, where it was thought the deserters were surrounded. Through the bad management on the part of our leaders, the deserters being apprised of the attack were prepared when our men closed in on them. Thomas Manning was killed and several were wounded, among whom was Rev. Joel Allen and Jesse Bethea of the Reedy Creek Section. Our men became panic stricken and hurried out of the bay. Soon after this fight, the deserters killed the Rev. Charles Fladger at this home in the night time. He stepped out on his piazza and was instantly killed. A short time after Dr. Fladger was killed, the deserters waylaid Dr. Alfred W. Bethea, a short distance from his home. When the deserters began to pillage and kill, Dr. John J. Bethea joined the crown of good citizens to hunt them down. They kept up the hunt and captured a good many. They killed quite a number and hung some. Another time the deserters met old man Maleolin Clark on the public road near Buck Swamp Bridge and killed him. The main leaders of the deserters were Arthur Jackson, Chief; John Jackson, his brother; Arch Surles, Levi Surles and Hugh P. Price. Some of these men became prominent citizens after the war and accumulated property. Many people in Dillon County on account of their money tried to make them respectable by their attentions, but very few of the self- respecting citizens recognized them. These men ought to be handed down in the annals of our country as unworthy of recognition by good citizens. They are spurned generally by the Bethea family, and deservedly so. This local "Deserter War" was going on after peace was declared, and when the soldiers began to arrive home after the surrender, many of the soldiers voluntarily assisted the good citizens to exterminate the band. Some fled the State and went West; others appealed to the garrisons which began to arrive in the different towns. They represented to the officers of the garrisons that certain parties were going to hang, or shoot them, because they were Union men and opposed to the War. The names of the good citizens, who had been the most active against them, were handed to the officers of the garrisons and they proceeded to make arrests. Dr. John J. Bethea, Knox Clark, Phil Meekins and a number of others kept out of the way to avoid arrest. Dr. John J. Bethea, finally decided that it would be more satisfactory and safer to leave, so he and his family moved to Mississippi. Arthur Jackson, became afraid to continue in this country, notwithstanding Peace was made and the garrisons were here, so he went West. After several years Dr. John J. Bethea returned to South Carolina. He died several years ago at Mullins, South Carolina, where he had located. He had one child by his first wife a daughter, Emma, who married Dr. Harrell. They moved to Georgia. Two sons and a daughter were the fruits of the second marriage. The daughter married a Mr. Daniels of Mullins, South Carolina. She died childless.


Lawrence K. Bethea, oldest son of Dr. John J. Bethea, married ____________.


Julien M. Bethea, second son of Dr. John J. Bethea, married _____________.


Robert C. Bethea, third son of Elisha C. Bethea, married a daughter of John C. Legette of West Marion, now Florence County. Before the War between the States he went to Mississippi. He was a Physician by profession, and in his adopted home he became a Methodist minister. He had talents as an orator but his religion was rather sensational and showed a tendency towards fanaticism. In his day and time the Methodists as a religious Society were more emotional in their worship, were stricter in their discipline, and on the whole were very different from what they are today. Robert C. Bethea has a son Richard Bethea. I believe there are others children, but I haven't the information at hand.


James A. Bethea, the fourth son of Elisha C. Bethea, entered the Confederate Army at the beginning of the struggle and served through the whole War. After the War, he moved to Mississippi where he married. Several years after, he died, I think, childless. He was educated for a lawyer, having received his degree from the Lebanon Law School of Tennessee.


Elisha C. Bethea, Jr., the fifth son of Elisha C. Bethea, Sr., married a Miss Ellis of Buck Swamp. He married the second time a sister of his first wife, Mary Ann, who at the time of her marriage was a widow Thomas. "June" as he was called, volunteered early in the War and remained in it until he was disabled by a wound. He never recovered fully and was a cripple on crutches for the remainder of his life. He left a large family of sons and daughters. His sons by his first wife were William Ellis, Arthur, and Morgan: his daughters were Mattie, who married John George; Carrie, who married John Tart; Augusta, who is still unmarried (1916); and Nellie, who married Tristram Hamilton. By his second wife he had a son, Power W., and a daughter Eva who married a Mr. ____________ of Darlington County.


William Ellis Bethea, the first son of Elisha C. Bethea Jr., married the first time a Miss Spinx of Georgia, and had three sons and one daughter Floy. He married the second time, Jessie Crawford, and has two children living, Philip and Catherine. The sons by his first wife were Charles, Robert, and Dallas. His daughter Floy married a Mr. Mellett of Sumter County.


Charles Bethea, the first son of William Ellis Bethea, married Miss Mary Belle Manning, daughter of Holland Manning of Latta, South Carolina. Her Mother was a daughter of James R. Bethea. They live now (1916) in the city of Wilmington, North Carolina. He is connected with a bank in that City. They have one son, William Bethea.


Robert Bethea, the second son of William Ellis Bethea, married a Miss Easterling of Florida.


Dallas Bethea, the third son of William Ellis Bethea, married a Miss Berry of Birmingham, Ala.


Arthur Bethea, the second son of Elisha C Bethea, Jr., married a Miss Hayes, daughter of William B Hayes of Hillsboro Community.


Morgan Bethea, the third son of Elisha C. Bethea, Jr., is now unmarried (1916).


Power W. Bethea, son of Elisha C. Bethea, Jr., by his second wife, married and now lives in Conway, South Carolina. He is Principal of the Graded Schools in that town. He also is the Editor of "The Field", one of the newspapers of that town.


Pickett Bethea, the sixth son of Elisha C. Bethea, married Miss Carrie Honour of Charleston, South Carolina. She was the daughter Rev. John H. Honour of that city. Soon after his marriage he enlisted for service in the Confederate Army. He was killed in battle somewhere in Virginia. His first son, Walter, died in infancy. His second son, Pickett, married a Miss Davis of North Carolina. He located in Horry County and practiced medicine. He died a few years ago. I don't know what became of his family. The widow of Pickett Bethea, Sr., married the second time, J.W. St. Clair, a school- teacher, who taught at Hofwyl School, just after the War between the States. The writer went to his school. William W. Bethea and the writer were his best men at the wedding being mere lads, we led the bride and groom into the parlour, where the ceremony was performed. St. Clair was a strange character. He drifted into the community just after the surrender and was employed by the trustees of Hofwyl to take charge of the the school. He was a fine teacher, as far as he knew. What he did not know he pretended to know and on this account he was constant by getting into difficulties. He said he had been educated at such and such a place, but nobody believed it. He claimed to be a Confederate Colonel but never could exactly establish it. He was a gifted conversationalist and told a great many reminiscences, in which he was chief actor, or hero. He said his native state was Kentucky, but this is very doubtful for he really lacked common geographical knowledge of that commonwealth, such as rivers, mountains, etc. He is the school-teacher, old man Capt. Elisha C. Bethea took to task about a certain River in that State. He had the manners of a Chesterfield and there is no question about his knowledge of polite Society. He must have had good training in this respect in his early years. He was one of the best fisherman I ever knew. He always brought home fish. He could tell you some big fish stories. There were very few streams south of the Mason and Dixon Line in which he had not fished. You could hardly mention a place, but he had been there. He would get on an occasional drunk, was a great gambler at times and, one time, even joined the Radical party and chummed with the Negroes. He repented this last act and the people overlooked it and continued to employ him. His school was a good one and was patronized by people outside of the community. The exhibitions there were grand occasions and he possessed the knack of showing off what his school was doing, which impressed the patrons in a high degree. He pretended to teach Greek but his knowledge of this language did not extend far beyond the alphabet. William W. Bethea and the writer were favorites of his. We would arrange fishing excursions for Saturdays for his benefit. My father would hardly ever refuse to let me go for he knew we would bring back fish, and he certainly loved to eat them.


Morgan Bethea, the seventh son of Elisha C. Bethea, never married. As quite a young man he enlisted early in the War. He sickened and died in a few months.


George Bethea, the eighth son of Elisha C. Bethea, was accidently killed in his early youth.


1849. William Walter Bethea, the ninth son of Elisha C. Bethea, married Miss Sallie Morrison, daughter of Rev. E. Morrison of Morven, North Carolina. She is an exceptionally fine woman, being well educated, refined and strictly religious. Her father was a Presbyterian minister of the old school and consequently she fully endorses the tenets of that Church, living accordingly. Her husband was brought up a Methodist, but in his younger days was not at all religious, nor inclined to be. He was a Methodist through association. She has had a good influence on him. It took some time for her religious teachings and Christian example to seep into his character, there, to find lodgement and become permanently fixed, but it finally did it's work and he is now a member of her church, and a very useful one. They live near Clausene, South Carolina in Florence County. Hopewell is their church. During the first years of their married life, they resided near Latta, South Carolina. His sons are Morrison, Theodore, Oscar and James, Fred died in infancy. His daughters are Daisy Kate, Grace and Essie. Daisy Kate is now (1916) unmarried, Grace married a Mr. Ward and lives near Ebenezer, Florence County. Essie married a Mr. Chammess of Bennettsville, South Carolina.


Morrison Bethea, the first son of William W. Bethea, married a Miss Curtis of Clinton, South Carolina. He is an Episcopal minister and has a church at Wilson, North Carolina. He is quite a talented young man and will no doubt rise high in the Church. He has several children all boys, namely, Curtis, Eugene, Edward, Theodore, and Oscar (1916).


Theodore Bethea, the second son of William W. Bethea married a Miss Thomas of Charleston, South Carolina. He was educated at the South Carolina Military Academy. After his graduation he taught school a while; then went into the insurance business which he is now following. His children are Oscar and Samuel (1916).


Oscar Bethea, the third son of William W. Bethea married Miss Ruby Hardee. He is a Physician by profession and holds a Chair in the Tulane University at New Orleans, La. He is a man of eminent man in his profession and has written a book on Pharmacy that has been adopted by the chief medical institutions in the United States. He is very talented and bids fair to rise higher in his profession. His children are Theodore and John H.


James Bethea, the youngest son of William W. Bethea is now unmarried. (1916). He recently graduated in medicine and is now taking a course in some hospital. He like the others possesses great ability and in all probability will rise high in his profession.


Clarence Bethea, the tenth son of Elisha C. Bethea, died in infancy.


1852. Julius N. Bethea, the youngest son of Elisha C. Bethea, married the first time, Miss Annie Shrewsbury of the Free State Section. His second wife was a Miss Sessions. The children of the first wife were Herbert, Ernest, Adger, Carl and one daughter May. May is a woman now and unmarried.


Herbert Bethea, first son of Julius N. Bethea, married a Miss Smithy and has several children.


Earnest Bethea, second son of Julius Bethea, died a young man, unmarried.


Adger Bethea, third son of Julius Bethea, married but whom I do not know.


Carl Bethea, fourth son of Julius Bethea, married but whom I do not know.

I do not know the children of Juleus N. Bethea by his second marriage.


I her insert a reminisence in the life of John R. Bethea. This should have been recorded on a previous page under the short sketch of this family.

During the Civil War the mail days, especially in the rural districts, were looked forward to with much interest and expectation. Most of the well-to-do citizens generally were subscribers to some daily newspaper which contained the principal war news. "The Richmond Despatch" at that time had the most subscribers. The post office at Reedy Creek was kept by Squire Sam Bethea and on mail days, there was always a throng of the gentry of the neighborhood to get their mail and learn what was happening at the front. You would always see at these gatherings such men of the Bethea family as Dr. Alfred Bethea, Evander S. Bethea, John C. Bethea and James R. Bethea. There would be men of other families such as the Ellens, Rogers, and others. With such a gathering, there was always some fun going on either in the telling of jokes on one another, or playing some prank. Old man John R. Bethea, for more curiosity, he said, took, in addition to the usual periodical, Parson Brownlow's paper, "The Knoxville Whig", I think it was called. This paper was very bitter against the South. Its politics was strictly abolitional, and consequently was one of the main organs of the Republican party, black Republicans they were called. This paper came regularly to old man John R. with his other mail. After reading his "Despatch" he would take up the "Knoxville Whig" with the remark "Lets see what old man Brownlow has to say." The spirit of Secession and opposition to the Union was so strong with the crowd they did not like old man John R. taking it. His reason was not satisfactory and they determined to put an end to it. In order to do this several of the crowd conspired together secretly to discuss what to do. The result of their deliberations was to get the schoolmaster, who at that time was Harris Covington, well known now by a great many as a man of brilliant intellect and superior talents, to write an article for Brownlow's paper for publication, which would stop Old Man John R. taking it. In a short time, Covington prepared an article, which was approved by the conspirators and sent to Brownlow. The article was an elaborate obituary of John R. Bethea. It set forth in strong language the difficulties under which he lived, surrounded by such a horde of secessionists and fire eaters, that at times his life was in danger and he did not dare to show his face for fear of assassination; that he could not worship God in peace; that he was scorned and spurned; that he was hissed at and insulted; and on one occasion was pelted with rotten eggs; but, not withstanding these severe trials, he remained faithful to the glorious cause of Republicanism and that when he came to die, his last words were , "Union! Union! Union!" This is a mere synopsis of the article. It was of considerable length and written in a style that no one but Covington could produce. The conspirators were on the alert for the expected mail and on that day were on hand at the post office to watch old man John R., get his mail. The mail was distributed as usual and they easily perceived that the Brownlow paper was handed to him. He found a comfortable corner and proceeded to read the "Dispatch" and talk at intervals with some of the crowd about the War. When he had finished all he wished to read in the "Dispatch", he laid it aside and took up the Brownlow paper with the usual remark, "Well, let's see what old man Brownlow has today." He spread out the paper and there on the front page was the article in question, bordered in mourning, with this flaming headline in large capital letters. "The Death of a Great and Good Man." "Who in the hell is that?" said the old man as he began to read. The conspirators were silently watching for they knew that it would not be long before the old man would explode. He read on until he came to his own name "What in the hell, does this mean?", he said, as he continued to read and fume, at the same time cursing Brownlow for an "old Republican Devil". Then it seemed to come to him, that someone in the neighborhood had fixed it up. He bawled out "Old Sam Bethea, he wrote this and I will right now give him a piece of my mind". The Squire pleaded not guilty. The conspirators were almost bursting with enjoyment. One of them said, "What's the matter, John R.?" He handed them the paper, and one of them read the article aloud for the benefit of the crowd, while old man John R. raved and fumed. The crowd had a big laugh and teased the old man unmercifully. Mr. Covington was at the School house and missed it all, but they soon sent for him and told what had happened. He pretended as if it was all news to him. They certainly had some fun over this thing and it was some time before old man John R. learned all about it. He quit taking Brownlow's paper. John R. Bethea had a sister who married a Colonel Bridges, who in the late fifties moved to Tennessee. His family saw the obituary in Brownlow's paper and thinking the Bethea family were Black Republicans, they united with that party and fought on Union side in civil war. There is no telling what a joke will sometimes do.


1809. James R. Bethea, the other son of Philip Bethea, married Miss Mary McLeod in 1844. She was of Scotch descent on her father's side. Her father came over from Scotland the latter part of the eighteenth century. He was from the Isle of Skye. Her mother was a Welsh woman by name of Evans. Rev. J.A.W. Thomas in his History of Marlborough County tells all about the McLeod family so I will not repeat it here, also Mr. Sellers in his History of Marion County has something to say of this good woman. The writer is her son, and knows that what is said by two above-mentioned writer's as to her virtues is no exaggeration. She was undoubtedly the best of women and nothing that I could say in praise of her various virtues would be in the least an exaggeration. She certainly by precept and example endeavored to bring up her children in the right way. Everyone loved her; the poor especially were loud in their praises of good deeds done by her. She was a Methodist of the old school and literally conformed to the discipline of the Church. She had a family altar in her home and family prayers were a regular duty. She never spoke evil of anyone. Her construction of wickedness in anyone was of a charitable character. My father in his early married life was not at all religiously inclined and did not take any part, not even by his presence in the family devotions, but I suppose her good Christian character and her consistent life had it's good influence and after some years standing aloof, he finally yielded to her good influence and became her partner in religious worship. She died regretted by everyone. She is buried at Dothan Church by the side of her husband. James R. Bethea settled on Catfish, about two miles northwest of his father on the road leading from Berry's Cross Roads to Catfish Church. He was a farmer by occupation. In his early days, as a young man, his ambition ran along military lines. He was made Captain in the Militia and steadily rose to be Colonel of the regiment. He represented his county one term in the Legislature (1848). Promptness was one of his virtues. If he made an appointment he would be there on time. He was strictly honest and always paid his debts. If anyone owed him, he generally collected it to the cent. He hated meanness and if anyone was unkind he had the backbone to tell him what he thought of them. In disposition he was peaceable and good natured. He loved a good joke, but did not like anyone to joke him. He was very fond of hunting. He always kept a pack of hounds to run foxes and hunt deer. None of his sons inherited this trait. He used to say that his mantle in this respect fell on his nephew John C. Sellers. He loved hard cider and was fond of mutton. It is related that he, Squire Sam, John R and Mr. Sellers ate a whole sheep in one sitting. I suppose this must have been a lamb. They certainly were big eaters but don't think they could have eaten as much as that. He and old man John R were quite chummy. They hunted together a great deal and their families were very intimate. He belonged to the Home Guard during the War between the States. In politics he was always on the right side and he was generally posted on the issues of the day. His reading was confined to newspapers. He rarely read a book and wrote very few letters. I can's remember now that I ever saw him do any writing. If he had any writing to be done some of his family did it at his dictation. This was not because he could not write, for he wrote a fair hand but because he did not wish to bother with it. He had several sons and daughters. His sons were Jesse Peterkin, James David, Philip Yancey, Elisha John, D. MacLeod and Robert Lucien. His daughters were Catherine Racheal, Clara Ellen, and Martha Isabella. Catherine R. (Kate as she was called) was highly intellectual and well educated. She excelled both at school and at college. Her aspirations were high and she was very ambitious. She was the favorite of her father, and nothing was spared by him to make her an accomplished woman for that day and time. Alas, she made an unhappy marriage. Often have I seen my father affected and my mother weep over her trials and misfortunes. She is dead now. She married Gibson G. Crawford. Clara Ellen, married rather late in life, Holland Manning. She has two daughters, Mary Belle the older married Charlie Bethea, son of William Ellis Bethea. The other daughter Hope is unmarried (1916).

Elisha John - born Feb. 22, 1851 died Nov. 3, 1880, unmarried - buried at Dothan.

Martha Isabella, married a John Rouse. She died childless several years ago.


Jesse Peterkin, the first son of James R. Bethea, died in his youth. Born Dec. 25, 1844 died Nov. 25, 1860 buried at Dothan Church.


James David, the second son of James R. Bethea, married Miss Flora J. Fore, daughter of Stephen Fore, who was a very excellent man. He had several sons and daughters. His sons were Kemper, Charles, Liston, and Laurie. His daughters were Mary, Blanche, Maude, Clara, Maggie and Leslie. Mary died in her youth. Blanche married Dan Dillon. Maude married Chalmers Biggs, Clara married Tracy Fore being his second wife. Maggie married Willis Fore and died soon afterwards. Leslie married a John McKinnon of Washington, DC.


Kemper Bethea, the eldest son of James Daniel Bethea married a Miss Parr of Washington, DC. He is connected with one of the Government Departments in Washington. He spent some time in Panama doing government work. He has at least one child.


Charles Bethea, second son of James D. Bethea, died while young.


Launie Bethea, third son of James D. Bethea, died while young.


1849. Philip Yancey Bethea, the third son of James R Bethea, was born October 5th, 1849. He married Florence Amanda Johnson Nov. 25th, 1875. She was a daughter of Oscar E and his wife Gabriella A. Johnson of Charleston, SC. Gabriella A, the mother of Florence A., was a daughter of Lewis Strobel, whose wife was Sarah Owens, whose mother was Pattie Bethea, daughter of John Bethea 3rd. Therefore, Philip Y. and his wife are related. Her grandmother being first cousin to his father. The wife of Philip Y. Bethea is a well educated woman. Her education is thoroughly practical, and she is what you might call a business woman. She is a good calculator, and practices it in her domestic affairs. She never undertakes anything without calculating the result. She is a first class housekeeper and economical in the management of her household. On the whole she is a superior woman in every respect. The writer of this brief sketch is her husband and he ought to know her more thoroughly than any one else. He is not writing this for publication but for the benefit of his immediate family, therefore, he will be free and candid in speaking of his wife. If there is anything that can be said to the credit of her husband, it is due to her good influence. She is a lady of the old school and does not endorse the progressive ideas of the "Smart Set" and she has raised accordingly her girls strictly by this rule. Her mother was a most superior woman, and her daughter shows the training of an exceptional mother. She is a member of the Methodist Church and takes an interest in Church affairs. She reads the newspapers and is thoroughly posted on the issues of the day. She dispenses a reasonable amount of charity and looks after the sick in her neighborhood.

I do not feel like writing my own autobiography in these sketches, so I will merely state a few undisputed facts about my life. What education I have, I received mainly at Hofwyl Academy and Wofford College, after which I taught school for several years. In January 1880, I came to Marion Courthouse and became County Auditor and Clerk of Board of County Commissioners,which office I held for ten years. Then I went into the banking business and remained in this for twenty years. That is my life. I have tried to be a law-abiding citizen and I believe I have made this endeavor a success. I am fond of books and have a fair library. I have been more or less connected with the Marion Public Library since its formation. I feel that my efforts in its behalf have been some help to it. I can look back on my life and see my mistakes. If the accumulation of money in this life is regarded as success, my life is a failure. My sons are Eugene, Arthur, Edward Johnson, Stewart, Philip Yancey Jr, and Markley. My daughters are Gabriella Eloise, Edith Johnson, Mary MacLeod, and Florence Strobel. Eloise has a position with the Raleigh & Charleston Railroad, a branch of the Seaboard Air Line, as Auditor. She is the only woman in the United States that holds a position of this kind. She also audits for two other short lines of railroad. She is regarded as an expert in her line and seems to be well thought of at headquarters in Norfolk, Virginia. Her parents are very proud of her, not only on account of her advancement in railway matters, rising to an official position, but for her unselfish devotion to her parents and family. Eloise is unmarried. Edith Johnson, the second daughter, married Walter Benton McCall and lives in the town of Marion, South Carolina. They have one child, a son, Walter Benton McCall, Jr. (Since this was written, two daughters have been born, Eloise Bethea McCall and Edith Strobel McCall. Their son graduated this year from Presbyterian College at Clinton, South Carolina, with high honors and is Assistant to the Commandant and Professor of Mathematics at Nassanutten Academy, Woodstock, Virginia. (1930).) Mary MacLeod Bethea, third daughter, is unmarried and lives in Marion South Carolina. Florence Strobel Bethea (1930) is a graduate of Winthrop College of Rockhill, South Carolina, and a Post-Graduate of Pratt Institute of Brooklyn, New York. She is a Librarian at Woman's College, Tallahassee, Florida. (1930).


1876. Eugene Strobel Bethea, first son of Philip Yancey Bethea, died unmarried in Manila, P.I. in 1910. He was undoubtedly the most promising one of the boys. He stood well in school and graduated at the High School second in his class. The winner admitted that Eugene was the best in the class and was entitled to the first place. He graduated at a business College in Nashville, Tenn. He volunteered in the Spanish American War and was sent to Phillipine Islands. After the war he worked for the United States Government in the city of Manila, P.I. He was for some time Clerk of Court and afterwards became assistant Postmaster in that city. He finally was placed in the Accounting Department of Insular Affairs. He died holding this position. His remains were brought to America and buried in Rose Hill Cemetery at Marion, SC. He died April 24, 1911.


1880. Arthur Stanhope Bethea, second son of Philip Yancey Bethea, attended Clemson College. He is unmarried and at present is in business in York, South Carolina. (1930).


Edward Johnson Bethea, third son of Philip Yancey Bethea, married Miss Nellie Evans, daughter of Capt. William B. Evans of Latta, South Carolina. They have two sons, Eugene and William Evans; and one daughter Edith. Eugene is at present attending the University of South Carolina in Columbia, South Carolina. The other two are still young. (1930)


Stewart Bethea, fourth son of Philip Yancey Bethea, married Miss Florence Wheeler of West Virginia. They live in New York and have no children. (1930)


Philip Yancey Bethea, Jr., fifth son of Philip Yancey Bethea, died in his youth.


Markley Bethea, the sixth son of Philip Yancey Bethea, is unmarried and lives in Washington, D.C. He was Secretary to Admiral Benjamin C. Bryan, U.S.N., at the Charleston Navy Yard, during the World's War. After the War he became personal Secretary to the American Minister to Rumania, Bulgaria and Sorbia and lived for some time in Bucharest, Rumania. At present he is in the Real Estate business in Washington, D.C. (1930).


Robert Lucien Bethea, the sixth son of James R. Bethea, married first, a Miss Shaw and had one child, a daughter, Leona. The second time he married Miss Rosa Carnes. By this marriage there were five children. Four were daughters, namely, Selena, Ines, Rosa and Marie. The son Dabney is unmarried.


Parker Bethea, the youngest son of John Bethea, 3rd., married Miss Elizabeth Harlee of Harleesville, now Little Rock, South Carolina. She was a daughter of Thomas Harlee, who lived at Harleesville, from whom it took it's name. She was a rather a masculine woman, very independent and self-willed. She was a very loud talker, this being due to the fact that her husband was deaf. She was extremely kind and hospitable, a good neighbor and much liked by all in the community. Parker Bethea settled and lived from the time of his marriage to his death at the Cross Roads on Catfish Bay quite near the Marlborough Line where the Causeway and the Bennettsville and the Marion roads crossed. The place is now owned by Furman Allen. His sons were Harlee and Benjamin P. His daughters were Elizabeth, Harriett , Laura, and Maria. Elizabeth married a Mr. Henderson of North Carolina. Harriett married Jesse Rogers, son of old Timothy Rogers, and left some children. Laura, late in life, married Thompson Allen of Marlboro, and Maria married a Mr. Harris of North Carolina.


Harlee Bethea, oldest son of Parker Bethea, married a Miss Roberts of Buck Swamp. He moved to Florida. They have several sons and daughters. His sons were Reddin and Charles. He also had a daughter who married W.D.B. Hayes of Buck Swamp. I don't know about the other children. He is now dead. (1916).


Benjamin P. Bethea, the second son of Parker Bethea, married a Miss Woolvin of Duplin County, North Carolina. they now live about thirty miles above Wilmington, North Carolina on the Coast. He has quite a family of sons and daughters. His sons are Charles, William, and Hampton. Charles has two sons, Cecil and Charles. William has one son, Walter. I don't know the names of the daughters of Benjamin P. Bethea.

NOTE. Attention is called to the fact that information contained in these pages has not been brought up to date since 1916, except in the case of the writer's immediate family. Information concerning them has been brought up to 1930.